The title of my book should be shameless theft, word count, 14,250

Moving right along... feeling good! Not like my novel is any good, but at least stuff is happening in it and I'm making progress. Looking forward to writing with Esmondes this weekend. CC and I will be coming up to Waterloo sometime late morning... maybe an early afternoon writing session before we go out into the woods dressed as cowboys at the beach?

Today, I took a page from Jill's book and copied and pasted the entire lyrics to Cyndi Lauper's song 'Time after time.' It seemed appropriate, because my novel has not been able to incorporate enough of Cyndi's looks, music or personality for me. I'm discovering a lot about writing a novel based on letters - it inevitably (at least, I think it's inevitable) will focus more on relationships and slow-moving plot, because that's what people write about. A lot of the detail of character and setting are lost because they never really get written down.

Anyway, I think you'll enjoy today's excerpt, from a letter written by Nicky to Molly. She's describing her newfound feelings for Seth. It feels slightly strange to have this year's main character crushing on last year's main character.

We went out last night, to Jackie’s Place. I was getting ready for Flabulous, planning the décor, but I also just wanted to hang out with Gordon, Demi Monde, Seth, and the rest of the usual weeknight crowd. So Seth and I were sitting at the back booth, just drinking a pint and chatting. I was laying out a few samples of the new flowery oilcloth coasters I had bought for the show. I thought that since these coasters were made from colorful, floral designs, they would make cheerful backgrounds for summer cocktails. Molly, you should have seen Seth’s eyes light up! She pointed out that these coasters were made like miniature versions of place mats. She noticed how I had let the pattern of the cloth dictate the shape of the coaster! I had never seen her so passionate about anything before! She was like a whole new person – not the stumbling, bumbling, tweedy and frizzy Seth I had been talking to just a few minutes earlier.
You wouldn’t believe that girl’s craft closet, Moll. She took me back to her apartment and showed me all of the things she was working on – a raffia-wrapped garden party set, paisley drink covers, collapsible dog bowl, you name it. Then somehow we got on the subject of belts and she showed me through her belt room. I never knew there was so much to know about belts – and I made my career in fashion! I really started to see the beauty of your idea about the 24-Hour Belt Emporium and Speakeasy and I’m kind of reconsidering it.

This excerpt is notable because it contains my first Martha Stewart references of the year. As you can see, I've decided not to quote Martha every day. But a few well-placed Martha references are indispensable to a good EsNoWriMo novel, and I think the overall effect is pleasing.

Comments

  1. I often just get onto the subject of belts. Glad to hear your plot is moving along, but I feel a little in the dark about what the plot is. That's the trouble with excerpts. Can't wait to read the whole thing. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this excerpt, and the incorporation of the Martha craft. I'm so so so happy to see Seth again, and love the references to last year's crafts. The overall effect, I am happy to report, is pleasing.
    Incidentally, I really like those oilcloths- someone crafty should make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, any human with eyes, or any other sensory organ for that matter, would not fail to note the beauty of the oilcloths. Especially if their maker is creative in the design.
    I love this excerpt and kudos for incorporating your first Martha moment of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha makes my day! Great stuff Indigo. For whatever reason this 24 hour belt Emporium seems like a really great idea to me... We need one in London I lost my only belt :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment