Day 11: 21, 660 words. Gordon magically developed a personality and got a new wardrobe.
Today was a good writing day. Dialing it back to just trying to get 1,300 words done was so easy compared to my 6,000 day. So I actually wrote about 1,500 because I was trying to finish off a scene. Not too much has happened since my last post, but Gordon had a nice conversation with Ruby and actually almost seems to be developing a personality.
Also, he has some new clothes. I was flipping through a friend's copy of GQ magazine and saw this image.
Nothing special, right? Then I looked more closely at the caption:
We finally know what post-modern fashion looks like! It inspired the following excerpt.
Ruby finally became aware of a sound nearby, a sound that had been repeating at decreasing intervals, louder and louder, for the past few minutes. It was a quiet cough, coming from jut behind hir right shoulder. Ze turned, and almost didn’t recognize who ze saw there.
It was Gordon the Vampyre, but he was dressed in an outfit she never would have imagined: a blue tank top (a tank top!?!) with a white triangle pattern and white trim, paired with grey sweatpants that were more tailored and fitted than any sweatpants that Ruby had ever seen before. (And this was saying something, as at one point in hir short life, Ruby had considered hirself something of a sweatpants aficionado.) Finally, Gordon was wearing a pair of bright white sneakers that were obviously just out of the box. They had eyelets for laces, but no laces. Must have been slip-ons, Ruby mused.
When hir eyes had finished traveling up and down Gordon’s outfit, and finally met his, ze could see that he was blushing.
“I’m, uh, trying something new,” he said. “The cape thing got a little stale after a while. And I happened to be reading GQ – it’s the best source of fashion news for the postmodern scholar – and I saw an ad for an eclectic mix of post-modern looks that celebrate your individuality. So, I thought I’d give it a try. Does it look all right?” He turned in a full circle, standing in the fluorescent light of the Paris, Las Vegas basement level. Ruby had to admit that the sweatpants perfectly cupped the curve of his bottom, and the tank top revealed that his pale and skinny arms were actually shimmering in the artificial light. Ze shot a glance at him and his blush deepened.
“I was reading that book about vampires… you know, Twilight? And I liked this quote that said ‘The image of Edward in the meadow — glowing, shimmering like his skin was made of a million diamond facets — was burned into my memory. No human who saw that would ever forget.’ I kind of wanted to be, you know, unforgettable. Vampyres are supposed to be unforgettable. And it seems lately like people only remember me as that brilliant guy with the incisive postmodern analysis. But I’m a pers- a vampyre, too, and I want people to remember that I have a body in addition to this mind, and there is this Morrissey song that I also kind of like, do you know him? God, I feel like he really gets me. He has this great song, called “Late night, Maudlin Street,” and he goes “Oh, the last bus I missed to Maudlin Street/So he drove me home in the Van/Complaining, ‘Women only like me for my mind...’” and it’s like, that’s me. That’s me in a nutshell. But I’m not sure if I’m sad that women don’t notice me, or men, or what. So. New clothes. And body glitter.” He shrugged, and looked back at Ruby. “I guess I shouldn’t have told you all that. Teenagers are supposed to be so cut-throat. If you try to use this against me, no one will believe you. Besides, they like me better than you.”
Also, he has some new clothes. I was flipping through a friend's copy of GQ magazine and saw this image.
Nothing special, right? Then I looked more closely at the caption:
We finally know what post-modern fashion looks like! It inspired the following excerpt.
Ruby finally became aware of a sound nearby, a sound that had been repeating at decreasing intervals, louder and louder, for the past few minutes. It was a quiet cough, coming from jut behind hir right shoulder. Ze turned, and almost didn’t recognize who ze saw there.
It was Gordon the Vampyre, but he was dressed in an outfit she never would have imagined: a blue tank top (a tank top!?!) with a white triangle pattern and white trim, paired with grey sweatpants that were more tailored and fitted than any sweatpants that Ruby had ever seen before. (And this was saying something, as at one point in hir short life, Ruby had considered hirself something of a sweatpants aficionado.) Finally, Gordon was wearing a pair of bright white sneakers that were obviously just out of the box. They had eyelets for laces, but no laces. Must have been slip-ons, Ruby mused.
When hir eyes had finished traveling up and down Gordon’s outfit, and finally met his, ze could see that he was blushing.
“I’m, uh, trying something new,” he said. “The cape thing got a little stale after a while. And I happened to be reading GQ – it’s the best source of fashion news for the postmodern scholar – and I saw an ad for an eclectic mix of post-modern looks that celebrate your individuality. So, I thought I’d give it a try. Does it look all right?” He turned in a full circle, standing in the fluorescent light of the Paris, Las Vegas basement level. Ruby had to admit that the sweatpants perfectly cupped the curve of his bottom, and the tank top revealed that his pale and skinny arms were actually shimmering in the artificial light. Ze shot a glance at him and his blush deepened.
“I was reading that book about vampires… you know, Twilight? And I liked this quote that said ‘The image of Edward in the meadow — glowing, shimmering like his skin was made of a million diamond facets — was burned into my memory. No human who saw that would ever forget.’ I kind of wanted to be, you know, unforgettable. Vampyres are supposed to be unforgettable. And it seems lately like people only remember me as that brilliant guy with the incisive postmodern analysis. But I’m a pers- a vampyre, too, and I want people to remember that I have a body in addition to this mind, and there is this Morrissey song that I also kind of like, do you know him? God, I feel like he really gets me. He has this great song, called “Late night, Maudlin Street,” and he goes “Oh, the last bus I missed to Maudlin Street/So he drove me home in the Van/Complaining, ‘Women only like me for my mind...’” and it’s like, that’s me. That’s me in a nutshell. But I’m not sure if I’m sad that women don’t notice me, or men, or what. So. New clothes. And body glitter.” He shrugged, and looked back at Ruby. “I guess I shouldn’t have told you all that. Teenagers are supposed to be so cut-throat. If you try to use this against me, no one will believe you. Besides, they like me better than you.”
Haha, Gordon is awesome, he was all endearing and self conscious and then he goes right back to being a pretentious dick bag, I love it!
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing insight into Gordon's psyche. I especially liked the tailored sweatpants--what a great look for Gordon.
ReplyDeleteLoved it!
It seems like postmodernism is now a term utterly devoid of content, if Macy's can talk about an "eclectic mix of post-modern looks". I do like the sweatpants though. My favourite part was Gordon wearing body glitter inspired by Twilight's Edward. This is, indeed, a new side of him.
ReplyDeleteI think I liked Gordon revealing his personality by quoting both Stephanie Meyer(s)(?) and Morrissey. Truly an eclectic mix of postmodern thought.
ReplyDelete