Day 15: 27, 684 words. Can't wait to write with you tomorrow!
The group is now in Miami, staying at the W hotel in South Beach. This is relevant only because I was able to cut and paste a few hundred words from the W website to describe its glories.
They are spending the night and then getting on the yacht tomorrow, and there are still a lot of plot holes to fill. But for now, a long-ish excerpt that isn't quite as funny as it could be. Everyone (except Harmony, whose clothing I did not specify) is wearing oversized overalls with tshirts, inspired by this photo.

I'm thinking of having *NSYNC do a guest performance on the yacht... maybe Ruby could somehow get hir belt back then! And that was supposed to be related to the plot... I'll think on it.
This left them free to relax in a cabana, and try to convince each new attendant that they really were twenty-one, twenty-two even, and had just left their identification in the room, and no, they couldn’t say what room because they forgot the number, and no, they couldn’t give their names but they had cash. It didn’t work. But the mocktails – or virgin cocktails, as Harmony insisted on calling them, with the world’s most ridiculous winking face – were just as good and the sun made the group punch-drunk anyway.
As Slade sipped her Cran Dandy Shandy, she asked Ruby why ze had changed hir mind, and whether Roux had allowed it. Gordon and Ruby exchanged looks, and Ruby had to talk fast to prevent Gordon from starting some postmodern-related harangue in an effort to save hir from answering.
“Well, Roux doesn’t exactly know about it, and I hope you don’t tell her… see, I found out that my mom is not coming back to Vegas this week like Roux said. There must have been a change of plans, and mom’s actually in Mexico. And since you’re going there, I figured I’d surprise her! I’m tired of Vegas anyway. But you won’t tell, right?”
“God, calm down! Why would I even be talking to Roux? She’s our Vegas connection, not my best friend. Anyway, I think it’s so badass that you snuck out! I didn’t think you had it in you!” She raised her glass and clinked Ruby’s Coconut Key Lime Momtini in congratulations.
“I don’t know. Roux was looking out for you, right? And what if your mom calls and needs to talk to you?” Harmony’s forehead was creased in a frown. Not even the sweetness of her Fine Wolf could erase the lines gathering around her eyes and mouth.
“You know, people often ask me, do postmodernists have anything meaningful to say about the security challenges facing societies in the developing world?” Gordon stood in the cramped space of the cabana, holding his Spring Fever (which he had chosen because of the blood orange juice) aloft and using it almost like a conductor’s baton as he got into the rhythm of his speech. “It’s a very valid question, and I always tell them that postmodernism is “seeking out and challenging the endlessly unfolding relationship between knowledge and power, rejecting metanarratives and the Enlightenment project, and seeing ‘truth’ as a temporary social construction limited in time and space.” This is, of course, a direct quote from A. Acharya et al, pages nine to ten of their famous 2010 essay. This definition of postmodernism can help us to understand my response to this question. I will provide different ideas in the security debate related to societies in the developing world. My remarks will unfold as follows: Firstly, the role of discourses will be analysed and its impact on the security of societies in the developing world. Secondly, I will examine the construction of knowledge and the different narratives that can define the knowledge and the representation of the reality. Based on this previous analysis, this second part analyses how security is constructed and the danger that societies in the developing world can have with the manipulation in the perception of risk and danger. Thirdly, the concept biopolitics will be used to examine the construction of identities as the different and the other in order to uncover the problems that interventionism in the name of humanity brings to societies in the developing world. ”
Although his words had indicated that he had much more to say, Gordon took this opportunity to sit and take another sip of his drink. He looked curiously at the others, awaiting their response.
“Uh, well, I’ll be with my mom in just a few days, in Mexico. And anyway, she’s just been sending me messages, not calling the hotel, and I’m sure it’ll be fine.”
“Well, where is she in Mexico? How are you going to get there?” Harmony was still worried.
“You know, I think I got a pretty bad sunburn,” Ruby exclaimed, jumping up from the lounge chair. “Gotta go put some aloe on it! See you at dinner!” Ze rushed out of the pool area and back up to the suite. Harmony was asking the questions that were running through Ruby’s mind, questions that ze needed to find the answers to, stat.
They are spending the night and then getting on the yacht tomorrow, and there are still a lot of plot holes to fill. But for now, a long-ish excerpt that isn't quite as funny as it could be. Everyone (except Harmony, whose clothing I did not specify) is wearing oversized overalls with tshirts, inspired by this photo.

I'm thinking of having *NSYNC do a guest performance on the yacht... maybe Ruby could somehow get hir belt back then! And that was supposed to be related to the plot... I'll think on it.
This left them free to relax in a cabana, and try to convince each new attendant that they really were twenty-one, twenty-two even, and had just left their identification in the room, and no, they couldn’t say what room because they forgot the number, and no, they couldn’t give their names but they had cash. It didn’t work. But the mocktails – or virgin cocktails, as Harmony insisted on calling them, with the world’s most ridiculous winking face – were just as good and the sun made the group punch-drunk anyway.
As Slade sipped her Cran Dandy Shandy, she asked Ruby why ze had changed hir mind, and whether Roux had allowed it. Gordon and Ruby exchanged looks, and Ruby had to talk fast to prevent Gordon from starting some postmodern-related harangue in an effort to save hir from answering.
“Well, Roux doesn’t exactly know about it, and I hope you don’t tell her… see, I found out that my mom is not coming back to Vegas this week like Roux said. There must have been a change of plans, and mom’s actually in Mexico. And since you’re going there, I figured I’d surprise her! I’m tired of Vegas anyway. But you won’t tell, right?”
“God, calm down! Why would I even be talking to Roux? She’s our Vegas connection, not my best friend. Anyway, I think it’s so badass that you snuck out! I didn’t think you had it in you!” She raised her glass and clinked Ruby’s Coconut Key Lime Momtini in congratulations.
“I don’t know. Roux was looking out for you, right? And what if your mom calls and needs to talk to you?” Harmony’s forehead was creased in a frown. Not even the sweetness of her Fine Wolf could erase the lines gathering around her eyes and mouth.
“You know, people often ask me, do postmodernists have anything meaningful to say about the security challenges facing societies in the developing world?” Gordon stood in the cramped space of the cabana, holding his Spring Fever (which he had chosen because of the blood orange juice) aloft and using it almost like a conductor’s baton as he got into the rhythm of his speech. “It’s a very valid question, and I always tell them that postmodernism is “seeking out and challenging the endlessly unfolding relationship between knowledge and power, rejecting metanarratives and the Enlightenment project, and seeing ‘truth’ as a temporary social construction limited in time and space.” This is, of course, a direct quote from A. Acharya et al, pages nine to ten of their famous 2010 essay. This definition of postmodernism can help us to understand my response to this question. I will provide different ideas in the security debate related to societies in the developing world. My remarks will unfold as follows: Firstly, the role of discourses will be analysed and its impact on the security of societies in the developing world. Secondly, I will examine the construction of knowledge and the different narratives that can define the knowledge and the representation of the reality. Based on this previous analysis, this second part analyses how security is constructed and the danger that societies in the developing world can have with the manipulation in the perception of risk and danger. Thirdly, the concept biopolitics will be used to examine the construction of identities as the different and the other in order to uncover the problems that interventionism in the name of humanity brings to societies in the developing world. ”
Although his words had indicated that he had much more to say, Gordon took this opportunity to sit and take another sip of his drink. He looked curiously at the others, awaiting their response.
“Uh, well, I’ll be with my mom in just a few days, in Mexico. And anyway, she’s just been sending me messages, not calling the hotel, and I’m sure it’ll be fine.”
“Well, where is she in Mexico? How are you going to get there?” Harmony was still worried.
“You know, I think I got a pretty bad sunburn,” Ruby exclaimed, jumping up from the lounge chair. “Gotta go put some aloe on it! See you at dinner!” Ze rushed out of the pool area and back up to the suite. Harmony was asking the questions that were running through Ruby’s mind, questions that ze needed to find the answers to, stat.
Wow, I always thought global security had to do with the ruthless pursuit of wealth and the requirements of capitalism. Glad to see that postmodernists have an approach that is totally divorced from actual relationships between human beings. Douchebags.
ReplyDeleteSounds like things are heating up on the boat. I'm glad they have some virginal summer sips to keep things cool! We should make some of these for our writing weekend. Except, with alcohol.
Damn, we really missed the boat on the summer mocktails... perhaps the next writing party?
ReplyDeleteI hate it when people reject metanarratives, it really pissed me off. Gordon is really pushing the envelope. The fact that everyone was wearing oversized overalls and trying to pass themselves off as of legal drinking age was hilarious.