Not feelin' it, yet at 30, 297 words

Surely at some point, having no plot becomes a problem? I'm sitting at Jill's house, having just finished a solid 1600 words for today. I read over my writing from last Saturday - just to refresh my memory - and it wasn't that terrible, except for the part where Seth met her dead parents. I'm just going to pretend that didn't happen.

My novel has turned out to be about how she copes with being abandoned as a child and it's just not that interesting to me. So, I moved over a little bit to Laura's perspective, because Laura's been a bit of an after-thought in this novel. I think some things will get pretty interesting when Laura and Olga get to know one another better... at least, that is my hope.

I had to work in two Martha crafts today, but that was about the only thing that motivated me. I won't post about that, so you have something to look forward to.

I think I have the Week 3 blahs. I don't really know what my novel's about but I'm not enjoying it. I don't even know what to post. I guess I'll put in a little piece that amused me - some idle thoughts when Seth left the Boo!-bie mansion. She thought about how it was kind of magical that she and Fernando had met at the Belt Emporium and discovered they were siblings. It was like a fairy tale, she thought... and then started to wonder which fairy tale it was like, in true Seth gender-bending fashion.

If this were Goldilocks and the Three Bears, then perhaps just as she got comfortable, with her bowl of gruel and nice soft bed, some big nasty animals would come and rouse her. It seemed unlikely, and anyway, there was no place for Fernando in that one. She mentally crossed it off her list.

If this were Cinderella, then she was surely the poor orphaned girl, but she hadn’t been raised by an evil stepmother. The workhouse hadn’t been that awful, and anyway, no prince had come to steal her away. Perhaps Seth herself was the prince and she was to find her own true love? But then, for obvious reasons too numerous to bother mentioning, Fernando was not Cinderella. The Fairy Godmother? Too complicated, thought Seth.

She stared at the gas lamps that stretched before her, in a straight downhill stretch of road leading back to the busy entertainment district, where surely her friends, and her brother, were wiling away the hours. She remembered the story of the Little Mermaid, in which the Mermaid, for love, had given up the use of her voice, and had become a human being, even though walking pained her feet like walking on knives, or shards of glass. Seth did not want to be the Little Mermaid. And again, there was no role for Fernando in the story, because he was clearly not the Mermaid, or her love, who had overthrown the Mermaid to love an earthly princess, and hastened the Mermaid’s death.

Comments

  1. good thinking, Scott! And the Suns of Ipswich can be the wicked witch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment