Fenn in a funk, 38,009 words
Events keep happening but they are not helping Fenn solve their problem. I hope the next 12,000 words does something for them because it is going to get boring as fuck if they stay holed up in their apartment doing nothing.
Everything is Lorina Rigaux's fault.
++
Lorina and company were still there. Lorina held the megaphone, as usual. But the activists had adopted a new tactic. They had learned from the Yorkville Ave poet, who had been stopping every pedestrian for the last 3 years to ask if they wanted to buy her poetry books. The activists waylaid anyone who came within ten feet of them. “Have you seen the Bullshit Oracle?” “We demand the Bullshit Oracle!”
I don’t have to let people spout nonsense and I don’t have to be polite.
Lorina was the one to confront Fenn.
“Have you seen the Bullshit Oracle?” Fenn glared and said nothing, tried to keep walking. Lorina blocked them.
“This toddler scarf is strangling me! The Bullshit Oracle is my only hope to lift the curse!”
“What. The. Actual. Fuck.” said Fenn. “Why on earth do you think the Bullshit Oracle can lift a curse? Why would you think that? And who are you anyway, what gives you the right to demand anything? What the fuck, Lorina? Leave the Bullshit Oracle alone and lift your own damn curse.”
“What do you mean, leave the Bullshit Oracle alone? Have you seen it? Do you know where it is?”
Fenn lost their temper. I do not have to be patient with fools. “LIFT YOUR OWN DAMN CURSE!” Fenn shouted.
The street grew quiet as everyone turned to watch them.
Lorina’s face was white and tense, possibly because of the toddler arms cutting off her air supply.
“Lift my own damn curse?” Lorina whispered. Or wheezed, hard to tell. “Lift my own damn curse? Who the fuck are you—” Lorina seemed to be building up her own supply of rage, but she was cut off by, you guessed it, Bailey.
“Lift your own damn curse! Lift your own damn curse! Lift your own damn curse!” Bailey was fist pumping and chanting, alone at first, soon joined by the rest of the crowd. Even Lorina joined in, and soon the megaphone was blaring along with everyone else.
Lift. Your own. Damn. Curse.
Lift. Your own. Damn. Curse.
The small group of activists were joined by a tour group, and a bunch of school kids on lunch break, and then the shops along the street started emptying as more and more people heard the commotion.
Lift. Your own. Damn. Curse.
There must have been a thousand people chanting. Fenn was the only person who was completely silent. Staring at Lorina, looking around at the crowd hemming them in, wishing they could escape to the quiet of Nick Cave’s back room.
And then.
Lorina’s toddler arms relaxed their grasp. Let go. Fell to the ground. Disappeared in a puff of smoke.
![]() |
| Yikes! 'Woman strangled with scarf stock images' |

Who could have conceived that Lorna would become such a pivotal character. And it seems that Fenn unknowingly has extraordinary power, and that everything they say strikes accord with those around them, causing them to chant in the thousands. I’m glad the cursed scarf was finally lifted. I hope now that means that Fenn will be left to themselves so they can figure Out what they want or not.
ReplyDeleteWow, this was amazing! "Lift your own damn curse!" is such a good line, and I'm glad that it finally did lead to Lorina's curse being lifted.
ReplyDeleteI was also relieved that the toddler arms disappeared into a puff of smoke because it would be been too terrifying to have some disembodied toddler arms lying on the sidewalk.
I find the line: Everything is Lorina Rigaux’s fault extremely funny- I know it wasn’t in your actual novel, but is telling about where this meandering plot is taking you.
ReplyDeleteI am also curious about Fenn unwittingly starting movements every time they do a thing. What is going to happen? How will Fenn find the peace AND the connection they are longing for?
I'm delighted that Lorina and the toddler arms are playing a larger role than I would have expected. I wonder if Fenn will able to get out of their funk after realizing that they DO have great powers. Or at least use their funk to power an impressive word count.
ReplyDelete