A visit to the farm, 17, 554 words

So, Seth went back to the farm. I quickly realized that I am incredibly bored and have no knowledge whatsoever about what happens on farms, so that was a little hard to write. She went back to visit her best friend Reggie and get some perspective. I feel like she should stay there for a while, and not head straight back to town... but tomorrow when I write she might do just that because I cannot write about farm life for another 10,000 words. Absolutely not!

Here's a thoroughly depressing quote, from Seth as she explains everything to her friend Reggie:
"These rings, Reg. Can you believe it? We both have the same ring. And at first I didn't really understand the significance of that. It was like a piece of evidence in a detective story. But then I realized, they gave me this ring. It's from them. So they thought about me before they- they gave me away. They took the time to have two rings made, two matching rings for their two tiny babies, but they only kept one. These rings mean they made a conscious choice to forget about me and to leave me behind. They left me on those church steps, knowing I would probably never have a family, no people to look after me. And they left with him. How could someone do something like that?"

Comments

  1. That is sad. Poor Seth. There has to be a story, there has to be a reason why they left her, but Seth is too heartbroken to see it. I have a feeling those wily Suns of Ipswich had something to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it was the one with the impish grin and an obvious problem with authority...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really been struggling with figuring out what happened and why the parents left. But part of me doesn't want to tie it up into a pretty package. Nothing could make Seth feel better, so why even try?
    I admit, it is very strange that they left one child behind and took another, and that they bothered to leave them with the rings. I have a few alternate scenarios to explain it... but might just leave it unexplained, since that will probably be how it always feels to Seth, and she's got to accept or cope with it, even if they had no good reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment