Day 6 - change is in the air, 12,567 words.
Today I surpassed my goal of writing to 12,000 words - things were going so well that i made it to 12,500. That means I'm 25% of the way finished! I have no way of knowing if the plot stuff I still have planned will need more or less than another 38000 words, but will take it one day at a time.
Today, Seth got the announcement that she has to leave LA in a few days, and that means less time with both Hagrid and Si. She has a first date planned with Hagrid for the day before she leaves, and she just had an intimate lunch with Si where she said more than she wanted to about how she felt.
This is a bit of a weird excerpt because nothing really happens, but I think there's some fun in it - Seth's rambling thoughts and unwillingness to acknowledge how interested she is in Si, and the usual Gordon postmodern stuff.
When we walked into the conference room, I had trouble meeting Si’s eyes. He looked pretty great, I had to admit, in a dark blazer with a white shirt underneath it. No tie, and the crisply pressed shirt was perfectly unbuttoned to reveal the curve of his neck and collarbone. Which, of course, I was carefully not looking at. Nor was I counting the seconds in which he shook my hand, because of course I was completely uninterested in determining whether the handshake was shorter, longer, or roughly the same as usual. And obviously, I didn’t think that the length of the handshake was any kind of bellwether for our relationship. Finally, I would like to clarify that I would not call my interactions with Simon Greengage a relationship; I simply couldn’t think of another more appropriate word in the very few seconds I devoted to describing us.
With all that non-thinking going on, the meeting actually went quite quickly. Gordon announced that Crystal’s scenes were going to wrap the next day, Friday, and that since the script had been revised to Project Ten’s satisfaction, Crystal and I were expected to leave that weekend. We would be invited back for the wrap party, after which the film would enter post-production for several months.
All of this took quite some time for Gordon to convey, of course, since he seemed to be doing his best to hide any actual informational content of the sentences behind a thick hedge of liminalities, unnecessary parentheses and hyphens, and lengthy digressions into Postmodern Heroics and Ethics in "Billy Bathgate" and "Bufo & Spallanzani." Since his 1991 publication in Comparative Literary Studies on this topic, Gordon had apparently gained some stunning new insights. Stunning in the sense of rendering his audience incapable of coherent thought.
Today, Seth got the announcement that she has to leave LA in a few days, and that means less time with both Hagrid and Si. She has a first date planned with Hagrid for the day before she leaves, and she just had an intimate lunch with Si where she said more than she wanted to about how she felt.
This is a bit of a weird excerpt because nothing really happens, but I think there's some fun in it - Seth's rambling thoughts and unwillingness to acknowledge how interested she is in Si, and the usual Gordon postmodern stuff.
When we walked into the conference room, I had trouble meeting Si’s eyes. He looked pretty great, I had to admit, in a dark blazer with a white shirt underneath it. No tie, and the crisply pressed shirt was perfectly unbuttoned to reveal the curve of his neck and collarbone. Which, of course, I was carefully not looking at. Nor was I counting the seconds in which he shook my hand, because of course I was completely uninterested in determining whether the handshake was shorter, longer, or roughly the same as usual. And obviously, I didn’t think that the length of the handshake was any kind of bellwether for our relationship. Finally, I would like to clarify that I would not call my interactions with Simon Greengage a relationship; I simply couldn’t think of another more appropriate word in the very few seconds I devoted to describing us.
With all that non-thinking going on, the meeting actually went quite quickly. Gordon announced that Crystal’s scenes were going to wrap the next day, Friday, and that since the script had been revised to Project Ten’s satisfaction, Crystal and I were expected to leave that weekend. We would be invited back for the wrap party, after which the film would enter post-production for several months.
All of this took quite some time for Gordon to convey, of course, since he seemed to be doing his best to hide any actual informational content of the sentences behind a thick hedge of liminalities, unnecessary parentheses and hyphens, and lengthy digressions into Postmodern Heroics and Ethics in "Billy Bathgate" and "Bufo & Spallanzani." Since his 1991 publication in Comparative Literary Studies on this topic, Gordon had apparently gained some stunning new insights. Stunning in the sense of rendering his audience incapable of coherent thought.

Hahahahahha! Gordon is up to his postmodern hijinks, I see. I'm so impressed with the quality and also the speed with which everyone is writing this year.
ReplyDeleteSi is hilariously over-thinking everything as usual. But at least that consistent with being consistent! I am really enjoying the novel so far, can't wait until I'll get to read all the parts in between your excerpts.
Congratulations on surpassing your goal! I'll not try to pretend I'm not seething with jealousy, both with your amazing storylines and descriptions of Si Greengage's outfits, and your commendable word count!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like the Lake House has been good for you. I love Gordon, as always, and Seth's internal dialogue is so entertaining. I'm loving this year's novel.