Fenn is bored, 14,001 words
Fenn and Bailey have tried to trick Jackie into giving them some of the herbicide that was used to put Fenn into the Bat Oracle trance. I'm skeptical that anyone could fool Jackie, but I guess we'll find out soon. I also wonder what these two dumbasses are thinking, wanting to take tree poison, unsupervised, just to find out what happens. Again: I guess we'll find out what happens soon.
Thank you, Sam, for the inspiration for this little excerpt.
++
Fenn found some embroidery supplies in the linen cupboard and began to cross-stitch “Maybe dogs are just humans at their best, drunk,” onto a t-shirt. They thought if they embroidered onto one of the cottage’s ugly-as-sin throw pillows, they would probably be out of a job. But if the t-shirt worked out, maybe they could get one of the village stores to take it on consignment. At the rate Fenn was going, they could sell the t-shirt for six or seven hundred dollars to account for how many hours of labor, and how much literal blood they had invested in the project. There must be some wealthy tourist out there who had that kind of money, who only respected a t-shirt if it cost seven hundred dollars. Or maybe they could get Juliette to put it up on the wall of Toodie-Loo as an art piece, sell it for seven thousand. Artists sure had it easy, Fenn thought, late at night and stoned on two baby aspirin. Haha. The baby aspirin were like a slap in the face. They didn’t take the edge off, they put the edge on. And tasted like fake cherry chalk.
They inspected the t-shirt. They’d been working on it for three days and had so far completed “MAYB.” They were running out of red thread, but if they switched to white, it would probably turn red from the many puncture wounds in their fingers, no one would be able to tell the difference.
| what is up with this t-shirt? it's irrelevant to the plot but... mysterious |
I love this so much, and I'm glad I was able to provide some inspiration to help you as you slog through week 2.
ReplyDeleteWhat even is that shirt???
“Maybe I” is a genuinely good t-shirt worth $7,000. Really enjoyed all the references to other EsNoWriMo past and present, but so seamlessly!!
ReplyDelete"Artists sure had it easy," hahahaha. Also loved the line- they didn't take the edge off they put the edge on. Ha! This was so funny, Indigo- I loved it!
ReplyDelete